After Windows 10 was released, Microsoft made it sure that you receive every single update from them, even if you don’t want to.
In earlier versions, you had the privilege to turn those on or off, but in Win 10, you’re just left with the option to choose how updates are installed.
Why Are These Forced Automatic Updates an Issue?
The forced Automatic Updates in Win 10 has caused several problems:
- We don’t have control over when these updates are downloaded.
- No control over updates installation.
- After they’re installed, we’ll compulsorily have to wait till the system is updated while booting.
- And this process goes on and on frequently.
Also, it hogs our valuable bandwidth when we have to download necessary applications or surf internet which is one of the main problems with slow Internet Speeds.
In order to avoid all these problems at crucial times, let’s move on to the simple tweak to turn off automatic updates in Win 10.
How to Disable Auto Updates in Win 10
There are many ways to disable auto-updates in Win 10 which requires some technical skills and understanding of some core concepts of Windows.
So, not going that deep into it, we’ve one of the simplest ways to turn off updates in Win 10 here. Just follow the steps below in order to easily disable updates in Windows 10:
- In the taskbar, search Control Panel and open it.
- In Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools -> Services. A window with all the Win 10 services will open. Alternatively, to open services, enter “services.msc” in the Run Command Box.
- Scroll down and find a service named “Windows Update“. Right-click on it and “Stop” Windows Update if it’s Running currently.
- Right click on Windows Update -> Properties. This will open another dialog box with Property options. Find Startup Type there and change it’s value to “Disable“.
That’s it! With this done, Windows 10 updates will no longer automatically start and run on your PC.
This method to turn off Windows 10 updates works in all the versions of Windows 10. As I wouldn’t recommend to stop Win 10 updates permanently, whenever you’re doing some important work, turn off this option temporary and later on, again change the value of the startup type to “Manual” which would then again start Windows Updates.
Don’t do it to frequently but only when you’re in serious need of PC and Bandwidth resources.
Do you know any other easy methods to turn off Windows 10 updates? How far are you convinced with turning off updates in Win 10? Let us know in the comments below…