I think you’ll agree with me when I say:
Windows Media Player is no more the current generation’s trend.
Even though it comes packaged with Windows 10, Groove Music has now been made the default music player for Windows.
But, there’s a problem:
Groove Music is limited to only playing music. There’s nothing much more that you can do with it.
Hence, it’s better to move on to a Windows Media Player Alternative which gives you some customization power; something which runs your music, but additionally does some extra required stuff for you.
Windows Media Player Alternatives: 3 Better Choices
#1 – VLC Media Player
Hands down; VLC is the best freeware media player.
With sets of advanced customization features to streaming videos to recording webcams, VLC can do it all, and that’s what makes it the best of all.
It’s a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- VLC plays Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Available for all the device platforms – Windows, Mac, Linux/GNU; VLC is available for all the desktop platforms as well as for Android and iOS also.
- Fast Hardware Decoding – VLC has hardware decoding on most platforms. It supports 0-copy on the GPU and can fallback on software when required.
- Plays All File Formats – Right from MP4, MP3, WAV to WMA and FLV; VLC plays all the 30+ file formats.
- Advance Controls – VLC has the most complete feature-set over the video, subtitle synchronisation, video and audio filters.
It’s one of the kind of software that doesn’t contains any advertisements or spyware or user-tracking.
[magpi_btn link=”http://www.videolan.org”]Download VLC Media Player[/magpi_btn]
#2 – GOM Media Player
After VLC, comes GOM; the Media Player for the modern people.
Whhat sets GOM apart from VLC is it’s interface, the modern impressive UI with a clean interface providing only the stuff that’s necessary.
GOM Media Player is free, with built-in support for all the most popular video and Media Player formats, tons of advanced features, extreme customizability, and the Codec Finder service and lots of other features.
With millions of users, GOM Media Player is one of the world’s most popular video players.
- Support for 360 degrees VR video – Supports 360 degrees VR videos from all the sides along with screen transition. It also provides search and play functions for 360 YouTube videos.
- Comprehensive File Support – GOM Media Player can play all the most popular video formats by default: AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, WMV, MOV and more.
- Advanced Features – A/B Repeat, Screen capture, Media Player capture, playback speed control, video effects and much more.
- Customization – GOM Media Player’s skinable interface and advanced filter controls make it highly customizable, allowing you to personalize according to your needs. You can download logos and player skins from their website.
- Codec Finder – Some uncommon video types aren’t supported by GOM Media Player by default. So, when you try to watch such videos, the Codec Finder service will search for its codec and if available, will give you the option to download the missing codec. Quite useful feature!
[magpi_btn link=”http://player.gomlab.com/”]Download GOM Media Player[/magpi_btn]
#3 – AIMP
AIMP is another powerful media player that does much more than your average music playing. It’s a all-in-one Audio Converter, Scheduler, Tag Editor and much more.
AIMP consists of a sound engine where you can customize almost every aspect of audio like Echo, Chorus, Reverb, Bass, etc; a total 18 band equalizer and built-in sound effects.
It also consists of a Playlist and a Library with a modern UI.
One of the main features of AIMP that sets it apart from others is the Internet Radio feature which lets you play Radio directly from the Internet supporting MP3, WAV, OGG and many other popular formats.
- Internet Radio – Allows you to listen to radio directly from the internet in different formats!
- Audio Converter – Converts your audio to other popular formats.
- Sound Engine – 18 band equalizer and built-in sound effects
- Smart Playlist – Playlists based on content from Music Library data base, with ability to filter and group data or Playlists based on content from one or few folders.
- Tag Editor
- Alarm Clock Scheduler
- Multi Format Playback – Just like other media players listed here, AIMP also supports almost all the major as well as other uncommon media player formats.
- CUE Sheets Support
- Output supports – DirectSound / ASIO / WASAPI / WASAPI Exclusive
- 32 bit Audio processing for the best audio quality.
[magpi_btn link=”http://www.aimp.ru”]Download AIMP[/magpi_btn]
While there are many other powerful Windows Media Player Alternatives available, I found these three to be the best with lots of amazing new features that sets them apart from others and which extends the meaning of a media player.
Know of any other amazing Windows Media Player Alternative that can fit in this list? Let us know in the comments below.