Yahoo Mail started over 20 years ago (in March 1995, to be exact), making it one of the longest surviving email services on the Internet. One of the best things about Yahoo Mail is that it is a completely free service. It also provides many other amenities, including:
- Online backup of emails
- Unlimited storage of old messages
- Yahoo Chat that is built in
- Automatic Norton Virus scan of all your emails before you read them
- A calendar that can send reminders about events via email
- Note-taking options through Yahoo Notepad
- Ability to change the look of your text
- Applications for iOS and Android devices
- Email sorting capabilities (for organizational purposes, of course)
The cons of using Yahoo Mail are as follows:
- Downloading email to your desktop is not an option (unless you want to pay a fee).
- Yahoo offers a lot of good options, but they also offer tons of ads.
Creating a Yahoo Mail Account
Considering the pros generally outweigh the cons of Yahoo Mail, it is definitely a valid email option for users. If you would like help in creating a Yahoo Mail account, simply follow the steps listed below.
- Go to www.yahoo.com, and click the “sign in” link in the upper right corner. Then click the “sign up” link in the bottom right corner. You can also just go to https://edit.yahoo.com/registration to register.
- The next step is going to take a little time. You will need to fill in all of your information. Make sure you fill this in completely and accurately so that you don’t have to go back and do it again later. You will need to enter in your basic info such as first and last name, phone number, birthday, and gender. (You can also enter in a recovery phone number. This should be the number of a trusted friend, coworker, or family member. However, this entry is not required.)
- After you fill in all of your basic information, you will need to choose a username and password. Usernames should be something easy for you to remember, but also something that you are willing to share with your friends and family, as this will be your email address. If the username you choose has already been selected by another member, a box will appear and tell you to choose something else. Once you have selected your username, you can then choose a password. Keep in mind that passwords should be at least six characters long and are case-sensitive. Your password should be difficult enough so that others cannot guess it but easy enough for you to remember. If Yahoo thinks that your password is too weak, it will tell you to add a few letters or numbers.
- Before you click on the “continue” button, it is very important for you to read and agree to the Yahoo terms and privacy first. Doing this will give you an idea of what to expect from the Yahoo service and what Yahoo expects from you.
- When you click on Yahoo terms and privacy, this will automatically open up another window. When you are done, simply click back on the original tab and then click the “continue” button.
- At this stage in the account setup process, Yahoo must verify that you are a human being and not a bot. There are two ways that they do this: either by text verification or captcha code. They may use one or the other or they may use both. Just simply follow the instructions on the page that pops up:
- You may need to click on a button that says, “send text message”. If you do not have a text messaging service, you do have the option to have Yahoo call you. Just click the button that says “Yahoo can call you with the code.” Once you receive your code via your phone, simply type it in the box and hit “verify”.
- You may also be required to enter a random sequence of numbers or letters. If so, simply type them into the box and click “submit code”.
- Once you have completed the verification process, you will automatically be signed into Yahoo and brought to their main news page. At this time, you will be able to access any Yahoo services.
Creating an account through the Yahoo Mail mobile app
There are some definite benefits to using the Yahoo Mail mobile app. The app actually allows for you to integrate multiple accounts by accessing only one app. In other words, you can access your email from Outlook, Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, or any other accounts you may have. It will also pull information from Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. It will take photos and contact information from these social media networks for any of the people on your email contact list.
The app also promises to eliminate passwords. Basically, when you log into your account, you select a button that will send you a notification on your phone. When you push the button and open the app, Yahoo will ask you if you want to log in. When you say “yes,” your account will automatically open in your browser—whether you are on your mobile phone or your desktop computer.
- The first thing you need to do to create an account using the Yahoo mobile app is to find it on your phone. Some phones have the app built in; if your phone does not, simply locate it in the Google Play store. Once you have located the app, just tap on it.
- Once you have opened the app, you will need to click on “create account” at the bottom of the page.
- The app will ask you for all of the same information that desktop version desires. Simply input your personal information (i.e. name, birth date, cell phone number, and gender).
- The next step is to create a username and password. Again, you will need to remember to create a username that is unique and easy to remember. Also be aware that this is something you will want to be comfortable sharing with people in your life. After you have created a username, you will need to come up with a password. Please make sure your password is difficult enough it cannot easily be guessed, but also easy enough for you to recall.
- Go ahead and tap on the Yahoo terms and privacy link at the bottom of the page. Before you sign up for anything, it is important for you to know what it is you are signing up for. Please read carefully. After reading this, you can go back to your original tab.
- At this point, it’s time to complete the sign up process by clicking the “create account” button. Yahoo will then attempt to verify that the mobile number you have entered is correct. You will need to tap on the “send text message” button, and then they will send a code to your phone. Once you have received the message, go ahead and enter that code into the space provided and click “submit code”. Your account has now been created.
Setting up your Yahoo Mail account
- Once your Yahoo Mail account has been created, you will automatically be directed to your inbox. The first thing you will want to do is to go to “settings”. You will do this by clicking the gear button in the upper right corner and then clicking on “settings”. All of your options can be found on the left panel of your inbox/screen.
- Now that you have entered the settings options, you will want to click on “viewing email”. Here are the options provided:
- “Enabling conversations” will allow you to display entire conversations in one message.
- “Show snippets” will show a short overview of your messages.
- “Tabs” displays all messages currently open in individual tabs.
- “Recent” will only show the very last message you viewed.
- “Preview pane” allows you to choose where the preview pane will be located on your screen.
- “Message list density” gives you the option to choose how your messages show up in your folders—whether they will be crammed or relaxed.
- “Read flags” will let you choose how long Yahoo Mail should wait before it marks a particular message as read.
- “Message handling” determines what Yahoo shows you directly after you’ve moved a message.
- Yahoo offers two different “mail versions”: full-featured and basic. Obviously, the full-featured version has more options than the basic.
- The next thing you need to do is to choose your options for writing email. To do this, you need to click on the “writing email” option on the left panel. The settings will then be displayed to
the right. Some of the options for writing emails are as follows:
- “Automatically add new recipients to contacts” means just that: if you want new email addresses added to your contacts list, click this checkbox.
- “Automatically generate a preview of links” allows you to preview the contents of links right in your message.
- There are drop-down lists for font and font size. A preview of all options you select with regards to font will be displayed in the box below.
- The other thing you can do is to create a default signature for all of your outgoing messages. You do this by using the text box at the bottom.
- Be sure to click the “save” button at the bottom left. Once you do this, you will automatically exit Settings and return to your inbox. You are now officially and completely ready to use
Other tips for using Yahoo Mail
Now that you have set up your Yahoo Mail account and are basically ready to use it, here are a few extra tips for you to keep in mind:
- If you are using the desktop version (not the mobile app), your password is retrievable. Simply click the “need help?” button on the sign in page, and then click “I don’t remember my password” at the very bottom. After that, just follow the on-screen prompts.
- You can access previously deleted emails. All you have to do is go to your trash folder in the left panel, and then click on the message you would like to “undelete”. Then click “move” in the toolbar at the top of your inbox and select “inbox”. You can also simply drag the email into any folder you wish.
- Of course, if you need any further help, you can always contact Yahoo Mail Support. The way that you do this is by visiting the Yahoo help section. Hover over the gear in the top right corner, and then select “help”. Then simply follow the on-screen prompts.
At this point, you should be fully equipped to create your Yahoo Mail account whether on your desktop or through the mobile app on your phone. However, it is possible that some issues may arise during setup that is not covered in this article. If this is the case, you can contact Yahoo customer service (you can visit them at: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/helpcentral) or just simply enter your query into your favorite search engine. You are likely to find the answers you need fairly easily. Have fun exploring your new Yahoo Mail account!